As winter begins it becomes more challenging to get my exercise in. I prefer to exercise outdoors, but now that the days are getting short and cold, I need a plan to get my exercise indoors. The gym is an obvious default, but if you’re like me, you need something else to keep interest through the winter months. So, here’s a list of indoor exercise options that I have used or intend to try soon:
- Take a dance class. Last winter I took a beginner belly dance class. Ballroom dancing would be even more aerobic!
- Find a yoga or pilates studio you like going to. I’ve been reading bloggers recently who’ve had great success with Pilates – this may be the winter I try that.
- Do a workout video in my living room. I just discovered that Netflix has a wide variety of workouts, on both DVD and streaming! I put in “pilates”, “workout” and “yoga” on the search bar and got a nice selection to last the winter.
- Walk at the mall. Chances are you have a mall near you with acres of wide open indoor walking space, usually open to the public until 9pm. A couple of laps around the mall can take up to an hour, if it’s a big one.
- Wii Fit and various varieties of Wii Fitness games. If you have a Wii or other game console, you probably have fitness options.
- A set of exercise bands make a portable gym. These are great for travel, too – I once backpacked through Scotland for a month turning free time and an empty hostel room into a workout every few days.
- I own a set of used free weights I picked up for cheap – it’s not like they wear out – so I can do a strength training routine in the living room. It’s not that I mind doing gym exercises, I just find the gym itself boring and depressing.
One of the attitudes I like to bring to exercise is a willingness to try anything once. When I was very overweight there were so many things I was afraid to try, or unable to do. I made a vow to myself that when I lost it and got to a “normal” size I wouldn’t dismiss anything without trying it. So I always give something new a try – if the choice is between not exercising because of the weather, or trying something new and intimidating, well, trying something new is good for me!