Home > daily efforts > Yellow Squash – Raw?

Yellow Squash – Raw?

This week I’m back at the all-day meetings in a hotel conference room for work. Today the afternoon snack that the hotel catering staff brought in really impressed me, and I learned something new.

They brought in a giant veggie tray (that’s a giant tray, not a tray of giant veggies!) with carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, yellow squash, and celery all cut into easy-to-eat chunks surrounding a bowl of hummus. They also had a bowl of baked pita chips, but those don’t have much nutritional value so I avoided them. I’m positive I’ve never eaten summer squash raw before, but I was intrigued so I added a single spear of yellow squash to my little plate.

It was so delicious! I went back and got a plateful. I’m totally going to be eating raw yellow squash sliced into spears from now on! I found it to be the perfect way to eat a little bit of hummus – a little crunchy, but light and not overpowering in flavor. A+ for the catering staff at the Four Points Sheraton for introducing me to a new way to eat a veggie I wasn’t previously a huge fan of!

Snack Time in the Conference Room

Edited to add: Oh yeah, and I almost forgot the best part! A cup of summer squash is about 18 calories- that’s like nothing! I could completely gorge myself on this stuff and not damage my weight management efforts in any way!

About these ads
  1. Cathyn
    June 5, 2012 at 5:38 pm

“I’m totally going to be eating raw yellow squash sliced into spears from now on!”

Noted, and allowances will be made!

2. June 5, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Yellow squash is one of my absolute favorite summer veggies. I eat it both raw and grilled. Yummy!! Never tried it with hummus though, but hummus is good with any veggie!

3. Donna
    June 6, 2012 at 9:12 am

Various recipes I’ve seen but not tried, claim that if you cut raw summer squash and/or zuchini with a veggie pealer in long ribbons, it makes a good stand in for pasta. So, squash ribbons tossed with diced raw tomatoes of various colors and chopped green and purple basil with a splash of balsamic could be tasty, colorful and not too many calories.

4. June 6, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Sounds good. I eat raw zucchini but, like you, have not tried yellow squash raw. Thanks for the idea. :)

5. dana
    September 24, 2013 at 6:49 am

We recently went to a catered event and they had little veggie cups with celery sticks, a carrot, a red pepper strip, asparagus, a spear each or zucchini and yellow squash. I had never eaten them raw. SO good! Everyone was commenting on how fresh and crisp it was. I cant wait to have them again at home. YuM!

6. Carol Ann
    August 16, 2014 at 7:20 am

glad someone already asked this question! am making “hors-a-douvers” for 60 for a yard paty this afternoon and wanted to use zuc, cuc & yellow squash as bases for cheese-topped, tapanade(sp) and pepper jelly nibblers! thanks again.

7. Carol Ann
    August 16, 2014 at 11:26 am

mine are made and just waiting ’til it’s time to leave for the par-tay! they sure do taste good/ hadta sample of course.let ya’ll know later what the rest thought.

1. No trackbacks yet.